Third chakra or Manipura: everything you need to know
An interiorized symbol of solar energy, the third chakra or Manipura is the seat of the Ego and our self. Through it we can affirm our individuality and exercise our free will to build our own life.
The 3rd chakra of the seven main chakras, is designated by the name of Manipura (from the Sanskrit “place of gems” or “brilliant gem”), it is also known as the solar plexus chakra or umbilical center.
Located between the solar plexus and the umbilical zone (under the ribcage), Manipura is identified with the will, the way to process emotions, the healing capacity and the interaction with other individuals and the environment.
The 3rd chakra represents the center of the ego, self-realization, social identification, personality, and the affirmation of feelings. Manipura is in charge of perceiving the energies emitted by other individuals, and predisposes us to action, according to them.
In the physical body, the 3rd chakra governs the abdominal cavity, stomach, pancreas, spleen, liver, bile, gallbladder, lower back, digestive system (except the rectum), and the system nervous.
Operation of the 3rd Chakra
When the solar plexus chakra works correctly, it allows:
- the effective connection with other subjects and the environment;
- the creation of lasting bonds;
- acceptance and respect for oneself and third parties;
- the use of experiences and emotions with an evolutionary nature;
- and the correct handling of emotions, in situations of stress.
Too much energy in Manipura, causes excessive importance to be given to the opinions of third parties, even above their own; need for exacerbated acceptance; little esteem for the self-respect or integrity of the other individuals.
A decrease in energy in the 3rd chakra causes:
- increase in selfish impulses;
- that one thinks of the exploitation of others to achieve satisfaction;
- the development of relationships based on interest;
- begin to privilege the social position over values;
- craving for control, dissatisfaction, depression, irritability, stagnant emotions, envy.
Locks in Manipura generate:
- repressed emotions;
- disorientation regarding its place in the Universe;
- decreased vitality;
- need to exercise dominion;
- disregard for health;
- personal force neutralized in times of conflict, exhaustion;
- feeling of emptiness and feeling of inferiority, greed, coldness, addiction to stimulants.
To purify and activate Manipura, one of the most recommended exercises is to receive and contemplate sunlight (not directly to the Sun), which is directly absorbed by this center of power and stimulates its functioning.
The vocalization of the RAM mantra, linked to the 3rd chakra, is another valuable technique, as well as visualizations with objects in shades ranging from light yellow to golden (Manipura colors).
With regard to the use of Crystal Therapy, stones such as topaz, tiger’s eye, amber, and citrine quartz can be used. Also, in the field of Aromatherapy, essential oils of lavender, cinnamon, rosemary and bergamot are used.
If it is decided to apply the essence on the location of the chakra, remember that in the case of women, Manipura turns to the left, and in the opposite direction (the right) for men.
As for other activities, yoga sessions or jogging are considered; look for a mechanism to express repressed emotions (without hurting or harming others), and break with routine habits.
Third chakra: what to know
The 3rd chakra concentrates strength, optimism, and ambition. It is the light put on our thoughts, our words and our actions. It governs our ability to oppose a categorical refusal: our “yes” becomes a true yes and our “no”, firm and relevant, imposes respect.
This chakra is located at the level of the solar plexus, so it concerns the group of organs placed under the diaphragm: from the stomach to the pancreas. it is about our personal energy, which is why this chakra is very sensitive to tensions and emotions.
Manipura is at the hinge between two planes of consciousness: the so-called inferior personality related to survival, food, procreation and egoic impulses and the superior personality that expresses itself in the radiance towards others. It is then the sun that warms and guides others by its light. It is at this moment that the triangle pointing downwards turns to point towards the chakra of the heart.
When our third chakra is slowed down, we consider that we are less important, less remarkable than the others. We erase ourselves, we accept the unacceptable, we always leave our place to another or do not fully occupy ours. We suffer from a lack of confidence, we are shy, timid, often embarrassed or we blush easily.
How to unlock the energy of the third chakra?
An unbalanced solar chakra can be recharged and harmonized in different ways. Here are two methods to do so.
Activate the will, change the habits
Do different things. If you do not move, initiate your body to movement. Conversely, if you are hyperactive, stay still. To break repetitive patterns is to challenge yourself, and to overcome them will strengthen your self-confidence. Start a small step and what may seem like a small challenge for one will seem like a mountain for the other. Do things at your own rythm, but get out of your comfort zone. You will discover magical aspects of life.
If the efforts are too intense and require too much energy, then visualize yourself succeeding without effort your challenges and the achievement of your goals. Also remember to reactivate your lower chakras.
It is an exercise from the book of Anodea Judith, it can be very liberating and release the anger, being linked to the feeling of injustice, or the way we managed certain situations:
- Stand upright with your feet firmly planted in the floor and your heels apart by about 50 cm. Raise your arms above your head, hands clasped.
- Bow your back slightly.
- When emitting the “Ah” sound, lower the upper part of your body, bringing your hands between your legs. The movement must be fast and continuous, and you must put as much force as possible. Repeat the exercise five to six times, feeling the energy in the upper part of your body.
You may also like:
- First chakra: everything you need to know
- Second chakra: everything you need to know
- Fourth chakra: everything you need to know
- Fifth chakra: everything you need to know
- Sixth chakra: everything you need to know
- Seventh chakra: everything you need to know
- Prithvi: everything you need to know