Biofeedback: everything you need to know
Biofeedback is a scientifically sound method of behaviour therapy and behavioural medicine, with the help of which normally unconscious psychophysiological processes are made perceptible by feedback.
For this purpose, unconscious body functions such as respiratory rate, heart rate, blood pressure, skin resistance, body temperature and muscle tension are measured with sensors on the skin and made visible either with image signals or audible via audible signals. The patient can thus immediately see or hear how his body reacts.
Receive all our tips by email!
Love Astrology? Subscribe Now and Receive Exclusive Content!
Biofeedback: how does it work
The first session of biofeedback begins with a careful interrogation of the patient to determine precisely the issues involved and the underlying symptoms. It is also at this stage that the therapeutic objectives are jointly defined, because the effectiveness of biofeedback is strongly correlated with a strong and motivated involvement of the subject.
At the end of this anamnesis, the specialist carries out various examinations aimed at defining the psycho-physiological state of their patient, and at determining a guideline which will serve as a basis of work for the next sessions. It is only after having made this assessment that the practitioner proposes various exercises (respiratory, mental, muscular, etc.) under the control of a feedback to which the subject will have access.
In general, the apparatus is first set to an ultrasensitive position so that the objectives are easily achieved. But the sensitivity will be lowered to gradually mobilize the concentration and energy of the patient for better results, the goal being that they eventually achieve them without the help of electronic tools.
Benefits of biofeedback
If you choose biofeedback, you can count on the following benefits:
- High effectiveness: the positive effect of biofeedback has been proven by numerous controlled studies. In some cases, biofeedback is even one of the most effective non-drug treatment options;
- No side effects and completely painless: since it is very specific to those (mal) functions that are important for recovery or your well-being, there are no unwanted side effects;
- Scientific foundation: the scientific justification of biofeedback guarantees proof of effectiveness; On the other hand, it has been continuously developed, improved and constantly researched;
- Reduction of drugs: depending on the clinical picture, drugs can usually be reduced or even stopped thanks to biofeedback; this is particularly beneficial if, for some reason, someone cannot or does not want to take medications (e.g., intolerance, pregnancy);
- Easy learning: through this technique, most people learn to change in a relatively short time those bodily functions that are important for their discomfort or well-being;
- Persistent effects: the skills you acquire through biofeedback are no longer unlearning and can therefore be used after therapy; very good compatibility with other psychological and medical therapies, which allows a comprehensive treatment of your problem.
- Increase of self-competence: the experience of having an influence on physical processes, on our complaints and on our well-being, benefits us in our way of life in general and corresponds to the increasing need of many people for more self-responsibility.
You may also like:
- Hypnosis: everything you need to know
- Reiki and distant healing: what are they
- Alchemy: what to know