Cat crying at night: is it really a bad omen?
It is believed that cats possess extrasensory powers for this reason they are excellent mediums and easily sense the presence of spirits. Also, people believe that abusing a cat brings bad luck, killing a cat brings bad luck for seven years. So, what about a cat crying at night? Is it really a bad omen?
Cat crying at night: is it a bad omen?
A bad omen in Cameron
For Rose from Cameron, 31 years old, this isn’t just a superstition. “The death of my mother and that of my brother were both preceded by cat crying at night,” she swears with sadness.
When we talk about a crying cat, we especially evoke long meows with melancholic intonations that this little beast makes. Many pay attention to it; others prefer not to dwell on it. “I believe it, because generally speaking, cat crying at night is very rare. And when that happens, it is inevitably a bad omen,” believes Christelle, a resident in Mbouda, in the West Cameroon region.
Jeanne d’Arc, fifty years old from the Bassaa ethnic group, explains that in fact, when the cat cries at night, it is very often to look for a mate of the opposite sex, for a breeding. “The cat is like a human being,” she said. He does not practice incest; unlike the dog. Suddenly, its nocturnal cries are very audible to invite a cat who would be far away. A cat’s crying may or may not bode bad news,” says Jeanne d’Arc.
Other cat superstitions
- If a girl walks on a cat’s tail, she won’t be able to get married that year;
- If your cat sneezes once it is a good omen, if it sneezes three times it is a sign of illness;
- When a cat abandons a home, great misfortune will befall it;
- To see the face of a black cat is good luck, to see its behind is a sign of bad luck;
- If you cross a road immediately after a black cat, a wish will come true;
- If a stray cat settles in your home it will bring you good luck;
- When a cat sits with its back to the fireplace, it is a sign of an upcoming thunderstorm;
- Locking a cat in a cupboard foretells family discord;
- When a cat puts its paw behind the ear, it will rain soon.
Other cat superstitions by country
A cat washing its ears announces the imminent arrival of visitors.
A cat sleeping padded on its paws is a sign of a harsh winter.
A tricolor cat in a home guarantees happiness.
A stray black cat taking refuge on the veranda brings prosperity to the house.
In the USA
A white cat in a dream is an imminent sign of luck.
Seventeen years of bad luck for someone who kills a cat, even accidentally.
A sneezing cat brings good luck to those who have heard it.