20 stones and crystals you shouldn’t cleanse in salt water
Knowing how to clean and energize stones and crystals is critical for you to gain the many benefits these two allies can offer. The two processes are fundamental, because before even the stones and crystals come into your hands, they passed into the hands of several people. However, cleansing stones the wrong way might cost you a lot; there are stones and crystals you shouldn’t cleanse in salt water, or they will be damaged.
When you hear the expression, “cleansing a stone or crystal” we are not referring to hygienic cleaning with soap and water, we are referring to energy cleansing, that is, the cleaning that takes away the negative energy from that object. This needs to be done both on the ones that were given to you and on the ones you bought.
Once you know how to clean and energize stones and crystals, they will be ready to help you fight negative energy.
Receive all our tips by email!
Love Astrology? Subscribe Now and Receive Exclusive Content!
Stones and crystals you shouldn’t cleanse in salt water
Before cleaning your stone we recommend that you study its composition; depending on their chemical composition, there are stones and crystals you shouldn’t cleanse in salt water.
Stones like pyrite, black tourmaline stone or selenite cannot be placed in the water because they are stones that degrade in contact with water. Stones in their raw state, opaque and rough stones should not have contact with water.
Pyrite or hematite are stones of metallic origin and can rust in contact with water. Selenite is a soluble stone, it simply dissolves if it is placed in the water. Black tourmaline can be placed in water, but as it is a very fragile stone we do not advise you to use water to cleanse it as it may crumble.
If by chance you used water to clean a stone that was not due, we can say that the stone died and lost its energetic capacities.
Salt is corrosive and highly abrasive on stones and cannot be used with the most fragile stones, as they risk becoming opaque, whitish and dull.
In these cases, where water cannot be used to clean the stones, we recommend that you use a druse to cleanse it. Another great tip is cleansing through smoke with incense: it’s always the safest option. You should cleanse your crystals and stones with:
- Natural running water: it is one of the most used forms, just bathe your crystals in water from sources that are not polluted (waterfall, sea, rain or rivers). Leave them immersed for as long as your intuition dictates.
- Water with coarse salt: put some pebbles in a container with water and place your crystals. Let them stand for a few hours and then rinse under running water to remove the salt.
- Smoke: light the incense of your choice and let the smoke of it go through all the faces of the crystal, for as long as you consider necessary.
- Rain: it started to rain? Put your crystals to take a rain shower, it’s great for energy cleansing.
If by chance you used water to clean a stone that was not due, we can say that the stone died and lost its energetic capacities; in these cases the best thing to do is to return the stone to nature, leaving it in a garden, in a pot or in the river.
You may also like:
- Cleanse crystals with Reiki: get to know the benefits
- Why should you cleanse crystals with the Full Moon?
- How to program crystals: 5 ways to empower them